Education Support Programme
We know that a strong education is the key to opportunities for everyone in our community, and thus an essential part of our conservation mission. As a result, Borana is now involved in raising money for our five local primary schools. Sadly these schools are lacking in infrastructure due to their inaccessibility and the poverty levels of local inhabitants. All secondary schools in Kenya are fee-paying.
Our goal is to help provide for a quality primary education for all children in our local communities.
Pack for Purpose
We are proud members of Pack for a Purpose, an initiative that allows travelers like you to make a lasting impact in the community at your travel destination. If you save just a few kilos of space in your suitcase and take supplies for area schools or medical clinics in need, you’ll make a priceless impact in the lives of our local children and families. Please click here to see what supplies are needed for our projects.
- Help the children from poor families to continue with their education beyond primary level, through bursaries.
- Improve each school so that they acquire an environment conducive to learning, through the provision of facilities and teaching tools.
- Enhance the conservation efforts for both wildlife and the environment through activities at the five schools.
- To solicit funds in order to support the programme and assure it meets its objective.
- To identify the children from poor families that need financial assistance.
- To organise activities in the schools, which would ensure that school pupils recognize the importance of the environment to man as well as the importance of the existence of wildlife.
The Programme's Achievements
- Employs 8 teachers at 6 different local primary schools.
- Sponsors 24 students at 15 different local secondary schools in the area (3 of whom have special needs).
- Sponsors 6 of the top students in the area with scholarships to university.
- All our students are carefully monitored and have studied well and achieved good grades.